A new poll compiled the top 30 most unexpectedly delightful things to happen, including pulling cash from the pocket of an old pair of jeans, getting a surprise refund, and receiving a compliment from a stranger.
The survey of 2,000 adults, found 36 percent love it when someone lets them jump the line in a supermarket, and when you find a treasured item that had been lost.
Driving through a run of green lights, catching a whiff of a familiar smell from your childhood, and hearing your favorite song pop up on the radio, also feature in the top 30 list.
(Imagine feeling double the joy if you run into all green lights while your favorite track begins to play!)
Commissioned by Alpen Delight, a spokesperson for the snack brand said: “The nicest things are those which are totally unexpected, and they don’t have to be big things—sometimes little moments lead to big smiles.
Respondents guessed that unexpectedly delightful things happen to them an average of twice per week, and it automatically puts them in a good mood.
But it’s not just being on the receiving end of these unplanned surprises that brings the most joy. 77 percent of those polled find making others happy improves their mood, too—which is why 36 percent try to do this as often as they can.
Such acts include smiling as they walk past another person (52%), just being there to listen to a friend (50%), and telling someone they’re proud of them (38%).
Nearly four in ten have cheered up others by making the effort to cook someone a meal, or by letting another driver into their lane while on the road.
And a generous 19% find joy in paying for the meal while out for dinner.
84 percent of those surveyed by market research firm OnePoll, said these moments in life restore a little hope in humanity. And half say they’re more inclined to pay such moments forward, if they’ve been on the receiving end themselves.
“It’s good to see how people enjoy delivering, and not just receiving, lovely surprises,” said the Alpen Delight spokesman.
TOP 30 UNEXPECTED MOMENTS OF DELIGHT:
1. Finding money in a coat or jeans pocket
2. Getting a surprise refund
3. A compliment from a stranger
4. Someone letting you go ahead of them in line at a store
5. When the radio plays your favorite song
6. Receiving a bonus at work
7. Constant green lights on the road
8. Hearing your baby’s first word
9. Your partner randomly showing affection
10. When someone actually understands what you’re talking about
11. A familiar smell from your childhood
12. A loved one randomly telling you they’re proud of you
13. Finding a treasured lost item
14. Waking up before your alarm, and getting to sleep for longer
15. Getting upgraded – on an airplane or at a hotel
16. Thinking it’s Thursday, but it’s actually Friday
17. When a child starts a conversation with you
18. Receiving a postcard
19. Hitting the exact number when getting gasoline
20. Getting home from work and finding someone else has cooked dinner
21. A work meeting getting cancelled last minute because the boss isn’t in
22. Seeing a funny car license plate
23. Getting asked for ID when you’re way over 21
24. When you’re brought breakfast in bed
25. When you and your friend say the same thing at the same moment
26. When your teenager wants to spend quality time with you
27. Your neighbor bringing over a baked good
28. Bumping into an old schoolteacher – and they recognize you
29. Catching the eye of your favorite artist during their performance
30. Witnessing a proposal in public
SEND Some Love to a Friend While Sharing This on Social Media!…